Fruits from Mindanao will soon be sold regularly at affordable prices in Baguio City.
The country’s Summer Capital will host the first marketing and promotions program of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) with the 1st MinDA Fruit Festival on Aug. 24 and 25.
After the festival, MinDa will work out to start a weekly activity partnering Mindanao farmers with the City Government of Baguio under Mayor Benjamin Magalong.
Among the fruits from Mindanao to be sold through local vendors in the city are durian, pomelo, lanzones, mangosteen and rambutan.
The project was forged with just one phone call made by MinDa Chairman Manny Pinol August 20 to Mayor Magalong who readily embraced the idea.
“Naku, matututuwa ang mga taga Baguio nyan dahil gustong-gusto nila ng mga prutas galing ng Mindanao,” Magalong said over the phone. (Baguio residents will surely love that because they like fruits from Mindanao.)
Two cargo trucks loaded with durian and pomelo will leave Mindanao on Wednesday for the three-day trip to Baguio City while the perishable fruits like lanzones, rambutan and mangosteen will be flown to Manila from either Davao City or General Santos City on Friday.
“I suggested to Mayor Magalong that local fruit vendors be tapped to sell the fruits so that they will be part of the partnership between Mindanao fruit farmers and the consumers of Northern Luzon,” Pinol said.
According to Pinol, Magalong said the fruits will be sold along Session Road in the city that will be closed to motor vehicles during the activity.
Fruits are in abundance now in Mindanao because it is the fruiting season and the prices have dropped by about 50% since last month.
Farmers have sought the help of government to sell their produce outside of Mindanao and MinDA, under newly assumed head Emmanuel Pinol, has assumed the role as the marketing promotions agency for products from the Southern Philippines.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market