Four high-powered firearms were recovered after an encounter with the communist rebels in Barangay Busdi, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon on Aug. 15.
Lt. Col. Ronald Illana, the 8th IB Commander, said troops of the 8th Infantry Battalion clashed with an estimated 40 New People’s Army rebels belonging to the Sentro De Grabidad Dario, Sub-regional Command SRC2, North Central Mindanao Committee.
After receiving information from the locals, Illana said the soldiers planned an assault against the guerrillas.
“The soldiers stormed them in the morning by bursts of gunfire, prompting them to leave some of their firearms and run for their lives. The said troopers immediately occupied and secured the area,” he said.
Troops were able to recover an M1 Carbine, M1 Garrand, M16A1, and AK-47 rifles at the scene. After a thorough search of the area, they also found a rifle grenade, five fully loaded magazines of an AK-47, backpacks, and subversive documents.
“It was covered with thick trees, we are on our way up and we noticed the enemy presence so I alerted my platoon,” said Lt. Carlee Pablo, the platoon leader. “When confirmed that they were armed, we immediately fired at them and tried to outmaneuver but they ran.”
Illana commended the soldiers as he instructed the platoon leader to continue the pressure against the escaping rebels. He also urged the other rebels to surrender.
“The Philippine Army will not stop pursuing the NPAs to cut down their recruitment. The NPA is disintegrating and isolated. It is only a matter of time before they will be totally destroyed,” the battalion commander said.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021