A team leader of the New People’s Army (NPA) was arrested in a joint operation in Purok 7, Barangay San Roque, New Corella, Davao Del Norte at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Capt. Maria Theresita Gaspan, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office, said the operation resulted in the arrest of Leonilo Sumampong Gonzales, alias Kumander Banakon, a resident of Purok 1 of the same barangay.
She said Gonzales was listed as number 2 in the top 10 most wanted persons in the city level. He was turned over to the Investigation and Detection Management Branch of the Davao City Police Office.
Col. Nolasco Mempin, the commander of 1003rd Infantry Brigade, said Gonzales was a team leader of Baking Segunda, Basil Platoon of Pulang Bagani Company (PBC) 1.
He was arrested on the arrest warrant for murder issued by Judge Emmanuel Carpio of the Regional Trial Court Branch 16 and frustrated murder signed by Judge Melinda Alconcel-Dayanghirang of RTC Branch 54 in Davao City. While the bail bond for the frustrated murder charge was set at P200,000, murder is a non-bailable offense.
The suspect also faces multiple attempted murder with CC number 79-0967-14 of RTC Branch 16 issued by Judge Carpio with bail recommended at P120,000.00; homicide with CC number R-DVO-17-01019-CR of RTC Branch 14-Davao City issued by Judge Jill Rose S. Jaugan-Lo with bail recommended of P100,000; robbery in band with CC number R-DVO-17-01020-CR of RTC Branch 14; sedition with CC number R-DVO-18-02226-CR RTC of Branch 17 Davao City, issued by Hon Judge Evalyn M. Arrellano-Morales with no bail bond set.
Mempin said the suspect’s cases are all NPA-related.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission