A keen rivalry between Cebu City’s finest squads of the CESAFI – Southwestern University-Phinma Cobras and the University of the Visayas Green Lancers will be showcased in this year’s 2019 Kadayawan Invitational basketball tournament which tips off on August 11 to 14 at the Davao City Recreation Center (Almendas gym).
Both squads will be joined by other contenders which will involve last year’s Kadayawan champion De La Salle University Green Archers and the National University Bulldogs of the UAAP.
Fresh from the finals stint, the Southwestern University-Phinma Cobras bagged its first ever CESAFI championship after beating the UV Green Lancers 2-0 in their best of three finals series.
“This will be a thrilling match-up for us Davaoenos to watch after their tight games held during the recent CESAFI finals,” said tournament commissioner Miguel Solitaria.
Both teams are expected to arrive here in Davao on August 10.
Solitaria also added that the four-day tournament presented by the City Government of Davao, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Region XI chapter, the Royal Mandaya Hotel and Matina Enclaves is free to the public.
Some P240,000 total cash prize will be given to the winners with the champion team receiving P100,000 while the first runner-up will get P60,000. The second and third runners-up will bring home P40,000 and P30,000, respectively. The best coach and most valuable player (MVP) of the tournament will be receiving P5,000 each.
The opening ceremonies will be at 4:30 p.m. on August 11 following the coaches briefing at 12 noon to be held at the Royal Mandaya Hotel.
Mayor Inday Sara Duterte-Carpio and Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte, Congressman Pulong Duterte along with SBP-XI regional director Glen Escandor, SBP regional operations head Ronnel Leuterio and SBP regional commissioner Atty. Francis Calatrava are expected to grace the opening rites highlighting the traditional ceremonial tip off.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission