A former barangay chair of Communal, Buhangin District was shot to death by still unidentified perpetrators along C.P. Garcia Highway, in front of Buhangin Gallery, on Saturday afternoon.
Capt. Maria Theresita Gaspan, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office (DCPO), identified the victim as Arnold Mascarinas Maalat, 49, married, a former kagawad and chair of the barangay.
Maalat was arrested in a buy-bust operation in 2017, but he was released from jail this year after he allegedly entered a plea barganing.
Major Roy Mateo, the officer-in-charge of Buhangin Police Station, said initial investigation revealed that the victim and a companion named Juleto Cayonda were walking towards the highway coming from the Buhangin Gallery when two unidentified male persons appeared from behind and repeatedly shot them from behind at 3:15 p.m. Saturday.
The suspects immediately fled onboard a black and white Honda XRM 125, going to the south bound of the Diversion Road.
The victim sustained four gunshot wounds – three on the back of his body and another one on the back of his head, causing his immediate death.
Agents of the Scene of the Crime Operatives personnel led by Major Nolan Genova recovered three empty shells and a deformed slug of caliber .45., which were subjected for ballistic examination.
The body of the victim was brought to Angel Funeral Parlor on F. Torres St. this city for autopsy.
Maalat was arrested by agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in a buy-bust operation on Nov. 26, 2017 for selling illegal drugs.
Agents said they recovered P480,000-worth of shabu and a .9mm pistol during the operation.
Maalat reportedly entered into a plea bargaining, thus reducing the penalty.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead