A fire hit an urban poor community, damaging 30 houses, in Purok 9B, Lower Madapo, Barangay 8-A, Poblacion District yesterday afternoon.
Based on the report from the Bangoy Fire Station, the fire was reported around 2 p.m.
Twenty-nine houses were totally destroyed and one was partially damaged.
The affected residents are informal settlers.
The fire originated at the house of Ricky Limbadan, 40 years old. An overheated surplus TV owned by Limbadan was the probable cause of the fire that reached the first alarm.
Thirty-two affected families were relocated to the evacuation center located at the barangay gym.
The City Social Services and Development Office’s Mobile Kitchen proceeded to the evacuation center for food assistance.
SFO3 Ramil Gillado, chief of the Investigation and Intelligence Section of Davao City Fire District, said the fire was under control at 3:40 p.m. Fire out was declared at 4:06 p.m.
There was no casualty recorded but estimated damages is pegged at P3 million.
- Gawilan formalizes Tokyo Paralmpics bid
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 7,300 CASES FILED | City pursues charge vs violators of COVID-19 health protocols
- Air assets on standby to help LGUs send supplies, vaccines
- DOH XI | No new variant in Mati City
- KISSA AND DAWAT | Merit-based selection: Can it be done?
- TURNING POINT | Bubble herd immunity
- PLAIN AND SIMPLE | To vaccine or not
- ROUGH CUTS | Where ‘deception’ makes good strategy
- URC weathers difficult times with its people-first approach