The 11 tribes of Davao City owned the spotlight during the official opening yesterday of the Kadayawan Festival at Magsaysay Park, this city. The participation of the Bagobo-Klata, Ata, Obu-Manuvu, Matigsalug, and Bagobo-Tagabawa, Sama, Maranao, Kagan, Iranun, Maguindanaon, and Taosug has made the “Subang Sinugdanan ug Pag Abli sa Kadayawan” more authentic.
On Friday, Davaoeños gathered at the venue for the official opening of the month-long celebration that started with a mass at 3pm, followed by rituals of the indigenous communities. Cultural expression through dances marked the opening.
City Tourism Operations Office (CTOO) head Regina Rosa Tecson said this time, they have been working closely with the various ethno linquistic communities for the success of the opening that features their tribal dances and music.
Acting mayor Sebastian Duterte expressed his gratitude and visited the houses of five Lumad groups, the Bagobo-Klata, Ata, Obu-Manuvu, Matigsalug, and Bagobo-Tagabawa and the six Moro such as Sama, Maranao, Kagan, Iranun, Maguindanaon, and Taosug which are built inside the Magsaysay Park.
Since 2017, the tribal village has been kept open for the public and most of the houses are renovated every Kadayawan Festival to further convey a tribal imagery that represents the colorful and rich culture of each tribes. This year, the city government allocated P150,000 for the renovation of the tribal village.
In his opening speech, Duterte said the celebration is a thanksgiving of bountiful fruit harvest and to share the abundance to the tourists. He also described the city as a home for everyone even with varied roots.
During the media launching last month, Mayor Sara Duterte encouraged Lumad, Muslim and Christian groups to celebrate the Kadayawan in harmony and use it “as an opportunity to continue to learn about one another, about what makes our culture unique and similar.”
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021