About 83% of the population of persons deprived with liberty (PDLs) under the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) in Davao Region are involved in livelihood programs, an official said.
Jail Insp. Ellen Rose Saragena, BJMP XI chief community relations service, did not give the exact figures but she said there are more than 5,000 PDLs in the various city, municipal, and district jails in the regions.
The BJMP-initiated livelihood program aims to support PDLs in generating income especially that they are only given a P70 daily budget each intended solely for their meals.
“We weren’t allotted with budget for livelihood support to our PDLs. That is why we coordinated with the other agencies for startup kits. Sometimes, the BJMP staff would even shell out from our personal pockets just to provide initial capital to our PDLs,” Saragena said.
The BJMPRO partnered with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) for startup capital and skills training.
“Together with TESDA and DTI, we made programs and livelihood opportunities for them so that when they are reintegrated to the society, they will have a new source of income,” Saragena said.
She added that TESDA would give PDLs national certificates after completing a skills training.
Saragena said that through the livelihood support, PDLs would not be hindered from giving support to their family members.
“There are instances that both parents would be sent to jail so their children will have no constant support. With these livelihood programs, they can continue to provide for their children’s needs despite being the jail.
In time for the Kadayawan celebration, the Welfare Development Office of BJMP XI launched a bazaar yesterday at the SM City Davao. Paintings, bags, coin purses, coin banks, and bayong are among the PDL-made products in display for the bazaar that will end this Sunday.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success