Both the military and the police both favored the exclusion of the city in the Martial Law, as requested by the Mayor Sara Duterte.
Lt. Gen. Felimon Santos, Jr., the commander of the Philippine Armed Forces’ Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom), said “I endorse the lifting of Martial Law in Davao City.”
Santos said the parameters of Martial Law exclusion include the clearing of all barangays in the city, particularly those in Paquibato District.
For over a year now, he said there are no violent incidents staged by “the enemy” in the city.
He said they arrested members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Barangay Tamayong in Calinan District, but those arrested were not staging any attack in the city.
He said the national headquarters of the AFP will still review his recommendation as they will also “look the situation” in the ground.
However, Santos said security measures in the city will “even be intensified” with or without Martial Law.
“Will have more checkpoints to guard our city,” he added.
Santos said he support the lifting of Martial Law in the city “to attract foreign investors.”
Brig. Gen. Marcelo Morales, the police regional office director, said he has submitted his assessment to the national police headquarters last week.
“We are supporting the request,” Morales said.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning