The City Council approved on first reading the proposal to declare one area along R. Castillo Street as “Pride Lane.”
Last Sunday, the Sangguniang Kabataan of Barangay Lapu-Lapu in Agdao painted one of the pedestrian lanes with rainbow colors in honor of the LGBTQ community.
However, the move was slammed by the City Transport and Traffic Management Office (CTTMO) as it does not adhere to the standards of Traffic Signs and Road Safety.
Without a legislative measure, the initiative was shot down.
CTTMO officer George Jumamoy said they already talked with the people behind the initiative to change the color back to the standard white. But he quickly added that they are not opposed to the move but the organizers need a legislative authority from the local government.
Neophyte Councilor Javi Campos passed a resolution to declare one section as “Pride Lane.” This will pave the way for the Sangguniang Kabataan to bring back the rainbow colors.
“As a pioneering project, I propose to color the pedestrian lanes along streets in Agdao specifically around Agdao flyover covering a portion of streets of R. Castillo, Dacudao, Cabaguio and Leon Garcia,” he said during his privilege speech.
“Aside from showing our respect to the LGBTQ, the pride lane can be considered as a tourist spot for the city residents and visitors to enjoy, adding value to the nearby sites like Davao Skate Park and privately operated upside down house,” he continued.
According to Campos, he will be coordinating with City Engineer’s Office and the CTTMO to ensure the adherence to the existing laws and ordinances while crafting the draft.
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?