An alleged gunrunner and his live-in partner were arrested by operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Davao City in an operation in San Antonio, Agdao District yesterday morning.
Maj. Milgrace Driz, the head of the CIDG-Davao City, joined the team that served the search warrant against suspect Leonel John L. Piyaw around 6 a.m. yesterday. The CIDG coordinated with the personnel of the Sta. Ana police for the operation.
The search warrant for RA 10591 (Illegal Possession of Firearms) was issued by Regional Trial Court Executive Judge Emmanuel Carpio dated July 22, 2019.
Piyaw and his partner, identified as Emma Martinez Ignacio, were arrested for direct assault, disobedience, and obstruction of justice.
Seized during the operation were one.38 caliber revolver, eight rounds of ammunition, and a sling bag. The suspect was reportedly a member of the Avila criminal gang group engaged in gunrunning and illegal drugs. The group operates out of Calinan but the members also fan out to the neighboring areas of Davao City.
The two are detained in Sta. Ana Police Station.
“The CiDG-Davao City is on guard with our mandate against criminal gangs and violations of special laws, particularly on RA 10591, otherwise known as the Comprehensive law on Firearm and Ammunitions,” Driz said.
“We will uphold the city’s tranquility especially approaching Kadayawan’s festivity,” she said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon