“I support the measure to create the National Academy for Sports for high school students.”
After a number of State of the Nation Address, sports finally made it to the President’s speech. In his fourth State of the Nation Address on Monday, President Duterte announced his full backing for the establishing of the sports academy.
Team Philippines Chef de Mission and PSC Chairman William ‘Butch’ Ramirez expressed his gratitude to the President for being a true leader and hands-on chief.
“There might be bigger priorities but President Duterte has always given sports his support,” shared Ramirez citing the perfect attendance of the President in Palarong Pambansa opening ceremonies since his assumption of office.
Ramirez added that this development will not only help the country in identifying talent, but will also elevate the sporting knowledge of every Filipino, and hopefully “provide us with a deeper pool of talent for the elite.”
Since 2016, the PSC has made initiatives to promote sports education and sports science for national coaches and trainers with its partnerships with the Korean Institute of Sports Science (KISS) and the United States Sports Academy (USSA).
The President signed a landmark law on sports in Republic Act 11214 or “the Philippine Sports Training Center Act,” establishing a state-of-the-art sports training facility in the country that will rise in Rosales, Pangasinan in 2022.
The sports facility will feature numerous facilities for administrative, sports science, medical and dormitories for athletes and coaches; with sports amenities for 39 Olympic and non-Olympic sports. (psc)
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories