Environment group Interface Development Interventions (IDIS) will be taking advantage of Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte’s openness to discuss environmental matters to finally pursue the creation of the Environmental Code of Davao City.
The attempt to draft an environmental code that is aimed to harmonize all existing laws in the city has been around since 2010.
IDIS policy advocacy specialist Mark Peñalver is hopeful that the environment code could be possibly realized as the vice mayor recently issued positive remarks on issues concerning environment.
Peñalver said they have already conducted series of workshops and consultations on the proposal but the environment code remained pending for several years because the previous city council were focused to other “equally important” matters.
“So now we (will) revive it and with the declaration of Vice Mayor Baste, we can push it this year,” Peñalver said.
Among the measures they are pushing to be included in the environment code are issues on watershed, rainwater catchment, green building.
Peñalver said they will introduce other green policies like permeable pavement and green parks.
During the Executive-Legislative Agenda (ELA) assembly last Thursday, IDIS has submitted its three-year sustainability agenda for possible consideration from the local officials.
This environment agenda includes their proposal to transfer the water management authority and power from the Water Management Council to the local government unit (LGU) and the harmonization of environmental laws through creation of environment code.
IDIS executive director Chinkie Golle recently said that the possible passage of environment code will lead to the cancellation of proposed P2.5 billion Waste-to-Energy (WtE) facility since its creation will add more teeth to the implementation of environmental laws especially on banning the Single-use Plastic and the enforcement of the Solid Waste Management in the city.
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat