Lawmakers convened on Thursday for the Executive Legislative Agenda assembly, which will also tackle the possible resolution to exempt Davao City from the Martial Law proclamation of President Rodrigo Duterte.
“It (the lifting of the Martial Law in the city) will be possibly tackled in the ELA assembly,” Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte told the media in the 19th City Council Media Briefing on Wednesday at the City Council lounge.
The vice mayor is optimistic that Mayor Sara Duterte can persuade the President into lifting Martial Law in Davao City.
“As I look at it, if this is what Mayor Sara Duterte favors then I am certain she can handle securing the city. She will not propose this in the first place if she can’t handle it,” Duterte said.
He also said the city council will soon pass a legislation on the said matter.
“Yes, we will pass a resolution. If this is what Mayor Sara proposed, then we will support it,” he said.
It can be recalled that the proposal of the lifting in Martial Law in the city transpired during the Davao Investment Conference last month when Swedish Ambassador Harald Fries asked the mayor how long will the Martial Law in Mindanao prevail.
The said proposal has been supported by different executive departments, including the City Tourism Operations Office and the City Investment Investment Promotion Center.
In May of 2017, President Duterte declared Martial Law in Mindanao when Maute terrorists attacked Marawi City. The proclamation will supposedly allow the military to take quicker action to address the threat.
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said they support the call to lift Martial Law in Mindanao. He also said the proclamation is continually being assessed so they could recommend to the President to lift martial rule for good.
- Responder drowns
- HONORING MY MOTHER: Going your own way
- ROUGH CUTS| What’s behind Mayor Baste’s silence?
- Davao ICon 2023 showcases the region’s finest
- BJMP XI offers free rides every Thursdays this month
- FORTY-SOMETHING FIRST-TIME MOM | Confessions of an angry mama
- EGALITARIAN: Nano industry and spectrum of industries
- Globe Group shares story of purpose-led transformation in UN’s Vision 2045 documentary series
- Davao Light energizes four sitios in Davao del Norte
- Full confidence