Several students of Crossing Bayabas National High School experienced anxiety attacks due to the 4.9 aftershock that sent teachers and students scampering to the campus grounds around 8 a.m. yesterday.
According to the report of the Davao City Police Office, about 70 students experienced nausea, difficulty in breathing, and dizziness.
Some even fell unconscious.
“Initial investigation disclosed that said students experienced extreme fear that caused a stampede towards lower grounds,” the report from city police director, Col. Alexander Tagum, said.
However, Alfredo Baloran, the chief of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said there was no stampede.
“There were no reported injuries but the kids experienced difficulty breathing due to trauma caused by the aftershock from the earthquake last night (July 9),” Baloran told TIMES in a text message.
On Tuesday, a 5.3 magnitude earthquake shook parts of Mindanao at 8:37 p.m. last Tuesday. The epicenter was in Makilala, North Cotabato. Pagasa weather station said the earthquake was tectonic in origin.
The office of the Civil Defense Region XI also verified the report that some students lost consciousness.
“But we have medical teams deployed (to the area),” OCD XI information officer Leslie Francisco told TIMES.
According to the DCPO, the 911 EMT, Toril Police Station, BFP personnel, volunteer rescue groups and Toril Police Station Alert Team attended to the students. An incident command center was also established in the compound.
Some students were brought to nearby medical centers such as Malta Medical Center, Davao Mediquest Hospital, and St. John of the Cross Hospital.
The school did not suspend classes.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission