Friends are like coffee. That is probably why whenever I harp about them, I get the same equal pleasure, as when I am describing my early morning favorite brew. Both have a thing in common, and that is in how they are blended. Our coffee in the house isn’t one of those run-of-the-mill, 3-in-one kind, but one that’s from the especially strong brewable varieties, like arabica and barako. With friends, it is practically the same. All are unique and solid individuals, with time-tested durability and confidence in each other’s differences.
Unplanned get-togethers, therefore, become special moments that are, always worthy of note. Over the weekend, I got to meet them (in this case, fellow-musician friends) at our favorite evening haunt in Matina Town Square, and as I said, everything spelled coffee.
The setting was the 2nd Mindanao Music Songwriters’ Night, and the first serving of exotica blend involved short gigs from a rich crop of young songwriters who wowed the crowd, not merely with their original compositions, but with computerized instrumentations as well (not sure how to properly label it but it’s akin to Jean Michel Jarre’s works in the 80s). Their renditions were then further complimented with performances by the “older” set of my musician-friends, capped with the launch of Gauss Obenza’s peace album aptly titled, Kalinaw.
In all, that old and new mix of artists from many generations, with varied styles and genres, but united in the love for music has made for that perfect blending that was right “swak” for a warm Saturday evening. Having my second cup now.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market