Young environmental advocate Nichole Pesado Marquez was crowned Binibining Davao Oriental 2019 last Saturday, June 29, at the Capitol Covered Court in the Provincial Capitol Complex in Mati City.
The former Mutya ng Mati 2016 and Miss Philippines-Earth 2017 Southern Mindanao bet bested the 10 other candidates who represented their respective municipalities.
The 22-year-old Marquez was a recent graduate of Bachelor of Secondary Education Major in Physical Science at the Davao Oriental State College of Science and Technology.
During the closed door interview, Marquez revealed her concern in keeping her city trash-free especially with the surge of tourists visiting her city’s popular destinations, such as Dahican Beach.
“I am glad that our locals are vigilant in protecting our environment. However, we need to continue to push for policies to sustain our advocacy,” she shared to this writer.
As the newly crowned Binibining Davao Oriental, Marquez took home P100,000 in cash plus an additional prize for winning the Best in Gown award.
Rounding up her court are 1st runner up Myrell Martinez of Lupon, 2nd runner up Gertrude Louisse Gundino of Caraga, 3rd runner up Shania Daphne Donga of Baganga, and Shine Kate Shane Cani of Governor Generoso. Gundino also won the Miss Photogenic Award while Cani slayed her competitors in the Best in Play Suit.
The province’s first lady, Nanette Dayanghirang, enlightened the crowd on the role of their tourism ambassadress, which “incorporates social responsibilities in all her undertakings including raising awareness for the environmental, women empowerment and preservation of our culture and heritage.”
In his speech, provincial Governor Nelson L. Dayanghirang encouraged camaraderie among the local government units and urged them to contribute to the province’s economic development through tourism.
Miss Universe Philippines 2019 Gazini Ganados joined Colonel Manuel V. Sequitin, DILG Xl assistant regional director Yvette T. Sunga, fashion designers Renee Salud and Feliciano Ador, Ginoong Davao runner up Cyriel Rosil and this writer in determining this year’s winners.
The 52nd Araw ng Davao Oriental founding anniversary’s theme is “Continue Towards Inclusive Development.”
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success