Three regular NPA members yield to the 8th Infantry Battalion at Barangay Kalabugao, Impasugong, Bukidnon bringing along with them five Anti-personnel mines and Garand rifle on Tuesday, June 19.
Lt. Col. Ronald Illana, the 8th IB Commander identified the returnees as alias Alimokon 33, medic; Alias Lakap, 45, Militiang Bayan/courier and Alias Jake, 26, a regular member of the squad.
Illana said the former rebels revealed that they belong to Sub-Regional Command 2, North Central Mindanao Regional Command (NCMRC) currently operating in the area of Impasugong, Malaybalay, Cabanglasan, and northern part of San Fernando, Quezon, and Valencia City, all in Bukidnon.
Also, he said the former rebels claimed that they came from the boundary of Bukidnon and Agusan Del Sur and they belong to the Higaonon tribe, one of the seven Lumad communities in the area.
They yielded five improvised explosive devices and a Garand rifle.
Based on their record, the recent explosion of an anti-personnel mine in Barangay Kalabugao was on May 30, 2019 when a group of foreign observers visited the place for an activity.
In an interview with soldiers, alias Lakap, said “We want to live free in the hands of the NPA.”
“They are always threatening us if we opt to run from their group, they will kill us. They will force us to battle the soldiers who are doing community service,” he added.
Also in his statement, Brig. Gen. Edgardo Y. De Leon, the commander of the 403rd Infantry Brigade based in Bukidnon, said “This surrenderers were enlightened by the government troops and they need the presence of our government in their community.”
“I am again calling all agencies to deliver all services especially in conflict affected areas,” he said.
- Duterte limits use of face shields to ‘closed, crowded’ areas
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- World Vision launches this year’s #GirlsCan movement to empower and support Filipino girls
- ALS Unit formed
- ROUGH CUTS | Longing for sustainable change?
- OFFICIAL | Digital vax certificates needed vs bogus cards
- Quiboloy threatens to run for president if…
- SEC launches 1-day online firm registration
- Davao Light acquires Safety Seal Certification
- Celebrate chocolate with SM Snack Exchange