Several firearms and improvised explosive devices were discovered by troops of the 71st Infantry Battalion in Sitio Babasal, Barangay Manipongol, Maco, Davao de Oro (Compostela Valley) on Sunday.
Lt. Col. Esteveyn E. Ducusin, commanding officer of the 71st Infantry Battalion, said they directed the troops to go after the communist rebels after receiving information regarding their presence in the community.
However, they didn’t find any rebels when they went to the area.
However, troops under 1Lt. Randy Coloma discovered an enemy encampment and recovered one Cal. 38 with 13 live ammunition; two improvised shotguns with four ammunition; two cal .22 rifles; 13 live ammunition of Ctg 5.56 mm; 16 live ammunition of 7.62 mm; one improvices explosive devices; 12 pieces of blasting caps; two magazines for an M16 rifle; three magazines of cal .45 pistol; one magazine of 9mm with six live ammunition, one set of detonating battery; four 1.5V dry cell battery; 17 bottles of butane; one analogue multi-tester; and one chainsaw.
The arms cache and supply were reportedly left behind by the Guerilla Front 2, Sub-Regional Command 2, Southern Mindanao Regional Command.
“We have been receiving information from concerned citizens of the neighboring Sitios near the encampments,” he said.
Ducusin said this only proves that the communities themselves are turning their backs on the rebels because they have seen the efforts of the government to improve their lives.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon