Twenty families at Quiñones Compound, a landslide-prone area in the city, were forced to evacuate on Thursday evening based on the City Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) – Operations Center advisory to the Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Center.
According to CDRRMO chief Alfredo Baloran, some families were still at the evacuation area, the barangay hall of Barangay Matina Crossing, Talomo District, as of press time.
“We have not yet advised to allow them to return to their areas, especially to those whose households are in very susceptible areas,” Baluran said.
The CDRRMO also reported street flooding in several areas on Thursday evening. These includes
DLPC-Bajada and Victoria Plaza along J.P. Laurel Avenue in Barangay 20-B, Carpenter Street in Barangay Leon Garcia, Laverna Hills in Barangay Cabantian, and Quirino Avenue.
According to Baloran, the frequent street flooding is triggered by the drainage system in the city that can no longer hold the volume of water brought by hours of rainfall.
“Our drainage system could no longer cope with the volume of rain water. I have observed that there is more rainfall volume now compared to the previous years. Meaning to say, our drainage could no longer sustain the rise of the volume of water during heavy rainfall,” he said.
However, Baloran assured that the canals and other drainage system are not clogged because the floodwater would subside shortly.
“One hour is already long before the floodwater subsides,” he said.
He added that the Ancillary Services Unit regularly checks canal to further prevent prolonged floodwater in the streets.
Baloran added that they are coordinating with the City Planning and Development Office to manage and address issues of the drainage system in the city.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success