Twenty families at Quiñones Compound, a landslide-prone area in the city, were forced to evacuate on Thursday evening based on the City Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) – Operations Center advisory to the Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Center.
According to CDRRMO chief Alfredo Baloran, some families were still at the evacuation area, the barangay hall of Barangay Matina Crossing, Talomo District, as of press time.
“We have not yet advised to allow them to return to their areas, especially to those whose households are in very susceptible areas,” Baluran said.
The CDRRMO also reported street flooding in several areas on Thursday evening. These includes
DLPC-Bajada and Victoria Plaza along J.P. Laurel Avenue in Barangay 20-B, Carpenter Street in Barangay Leon Garcia, Laverna Hills in Barangay Cabantian, and Quirino Avenue.
According to Baloran, the frequent street flooding is triggered by the drainage system in the city that can no longer hold the volume of water brought by hours of rainfall.
“Our drainage system could no longer cope with the volume of rain water. I have observed that there is more rainfall volume now compared to the previous years. Meaning to say, our drainage could no longer sustain the rise of the volume of water during heavy rainfall,” he said.
However, Baloran assured that the canals and other drainage system are not clogged because the floodwater would subside shortly.
“One hour is already long before the floodwater subsides,” he said.
He added that the Ancillary Services Unit regularly checks canal to further prevent prolonged floodwater in the streets.
Baloran added that they are coordinating with the City Planning and Development Office to manage and address issues of the drainage system in the city.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories