A man wanted for murder in Davao Oriental was killed in a police shootout in Bajada, Barangay 19-B, Poblacion District on Thursday, police said yesterday.
Major Jason Baria, the spokesperson of Police Regional Office 11, identified the fatality as Segundino Gerente Jr., alias Entoy Waray, 44 years old, single, jobless, who was hiding in Purok 1, San Antonio, Bajada after fleeing Davao Oriental.
Baria said Gerente was one of the top wanted suspects in the region, as he was facing a murder case in Davao Oriental.
The police officer said operatives were armed with warrant of arrest as they target to arrest Gerente in his safehouse around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.
Joint teams from the police provincial intelligence branches of Davao Oriental and Davao del Norte, Banay-Banay Municipal Police Station and Davao City Police Office’s San Pedro Police Station served the arrest warrant issued by Judge Angelita A. Alfonso-Tumanda of Regional Trial Court Branch 5 based in Mati City, Davao Oriental over a murder case.
Baria said police asked Gerente “to submit himself peacefully.”
But the fugitive resisted arrest.
According to Baria, Gerente allegedly fired a gun towards the operatives. This prompted the officers to return fire.
As the exchange of gunfire ended, police rushed the accused to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) as he still “showed signs of life.”
However, he was declared dead on arrival by his attending physician at 1:13 a.m.
A plastic sachet, suspected to contain shabu, was allegedly found in his possession of the accused during the body search at the hospital, Baria said.
Police also recovered from crime scene a caliber .45 Colt pistol bearing serial No. 426289 with two fired cartridge cases.
Details of his murder case was not stated.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories