A man wanted for murder in Davao Oriental was killed in a police shootout in Bajada, Barangay 19-B, Poblacion District on Thursday, police said yesterday.
Major Jason Baria, the spokesperson of Police Regional Office 11, identified the fatality as Segundino Gerente Jr., alias Entoy Waray, 44 years old, single, jobless, who was hiding in Purok 1, San Antonio, Bajada after fleeing Davao Oriental.
Baria said Gerente was one of the top wanted suspects in the region, as he was facing a murder case in Davao Oriental.
The police officer said operatives were armed with warrant of arrest as they target to arrest Gerente in his safehouse around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.
Joint teams from the police provincial intelligence branches of Davao Oriental and Davao del Norte, Banay-Banay Municipal Police Station and Davao City Police Office’s San Pedro Police Station served the arrest warrant issued by Judge Angelita A. Alfonso-Tumanda of Regional Trial Court Branch 5 based in Mati City, Davao Oriental over a murder case.
Baria said police asked Gerente “to submit himself peacefully.”
But the fugitive resisted arrest.
According to Baria, Gerente allegedly fired a gun towards the operatives. This prompted the officers to return fire.
As the exchange of gunfire ended, police rushed the accused to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) as he still “showed signs of life.”
However, he was declared dead on arrival by his attending physician at 1:13 a.m.
A plastic sachet, suspected to contain shabu, was allegedly found in his possession of the accused during the body search at the hospital, Baria said.
Police also recovered from crime scene a caliber .45 Colt pistol bearing serial No. 426289 with two fired cartridge cases.
Details of his murder case was not stated.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success