The Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) XI is not letting the man who assaulted firefighters to get off scot-free as multiple charges are now prepared against him.
This as the BFP yesterday identified the aggressor as Dennis Ombus, who is a bakery shop owner and not a government employee as he introduced himself during the fire incident that destroyed 24 houses in Purok 3-A, New Society Village, Barangay Ilang, Bunawan District on Sunday.
During the incident, Ombus reportedly interfered as he allegedly wanted the firefighters to follow his command on where to hit the water pressure first.
With his chest, he hit the chest of a firefighter who refused to follow his order in the presence of several residents.
The fire bureau considered it as an act that should not be tolerated, Fire Inspector Cyrus Medina, the BFP XI regional spokesperson, told TIMES over the phone Monday.
“Our organization was offended,” Medina said.
“It demoralized the image of the BFP.”
Medina said they preparing documents to charge Ombus.
Ombus may be charged for violating the fire code for interfering in a firefighting operation, as well as physical injury and usurpation of authority.
Medina said Ombus could have been immediately arrested but firefighters opted to continue controlling the fire.
Medina said he already talked with the barangay captain of Ilang and they learned that Ombao’s house is far from the fire scene.
The fire started at the house occupied by Josephine Lamoste at around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.
It immediately scattered to nearby houses in the urban poor community.
The fire, which was controlled by 8:50 a.m., damaged around P875,000-worth of properties.
- Capacity building for differently-abled persons cooperative continues with dressmaking training
- Globe backs calls for ICT policy reforms
- Ford PH enriches ownership experience with FordPass
- GCash removes clickable links in SMS, emails to improve security of users
- City gov’t, Poland eye areas of cooperation
- NEFM hosts maritime exercise
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | What did the hearing achieve?
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Malabar for breakfast
- Gift of Art