Two women were killed in a car crash yesterday dawn along Quimpo Boulevard, Barangay Matina Crossing, Talomo District.
Police identified the fatalities as Melody An Ybanez, 27, of 222 Isarog Street, Central Park Subdivision, Bangkal, Barangay Talomo Proper, Talomo District, and Janilou Faye Rosales, 21, no address stated.
Police reports stated that Ybanez was driving a Mazda Sedan with Rosales as passenger.
Radio reports said Rosales just finished her Medical Laboratory Science degree at San Pedro College, and they were celebrating right after her graduation on Thursday, few hours prior to the incident.
At 4 a.m. while traversing along Quimpo Boulevard going to MacArthur Highway, the car was allegedly over speeding.
Fronting the Shell Gas Station and the City Hardware, the Sedan hit the opposite lane and collided directly to a Metro Shuttle Bus that caused their untimely deaths.
The two were declared dead on the spot by the medical response unit of 911 Emergency.
Two bus passengers, identified as Felipa Sarcuga and Jessica Badayos, sustained minor injuries from the incident.
The bus driver Ricky Aban Deloso, 42, of Mabini, Compostela Valley, is now under police custody and may be facing charges of reckless driving resulting to double homicide.
The traffic group advised the people to follow speed limit and obey the traffic rules, in order to avoid such incidents to happen.
Mayor Sara Duterte, in an interview said the car driver and passenger were allegedly intoxicated with alcohol when the incident happened.
“What else can the city government do to push our police officers to apprehend over-speeding and drunk driving, and yet we can still see instances of car accidents and deaths because of drunk driving,” Duterte said.
“I hope the people would be reminded that if they are drunk, then they shouldn’t be driving a car,” the Mayor said.
The city, the mayor said, has intensified its campaign and awareness against drunk driving and over-speeding.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market