Three years after she was accused of illegally recruiting overseas jobseekers, a long-wanted nurse was arrested last week, police said yesterday.
Brig. Gen. Marcelo Morales, police regional director, identified the suspect as Vera Flor delos Reyes, 49, married, of Ladislawa Village, Barangay Buhangin Proper, Buhangin District.
Morales said Talomo police operatives, armed with a warrant of arrest, arrested the suspect in Muslim Village, TIMES Beach area in Barangay Bucana (76-A), Talomo District around 5:30 a.m. last Wednesday.
Judge Ronald Tolentino of Regional Trial Court Branch 52 – Davao City issued the arrest order based in connection with the three-year-old Criminal Case No. R-DVO-16-04779-CR for large scale illegal recruitment.
Based on the case filed in court, four victims charged the accused of victimizing them.
Morales said several complainants filed a complaint before the Department of Justice in Ermita, Manila sometime in August of 2016 against delos Reyes and two other respondents (name not stated) for illegal recruitment.
The respondents allegedly promised them jobs in Japan, Australia, and Germany as butchers and meat processing workers. The victims were enticed. Some paid as high as P120,000 for the alleged processing fee and other documents.
But months later, the complainants learned that the respondents have no authority or license to engage in recruitment or placement of workers abroad.
It was learned that delos Reyes worked as an executive consultant of a migration agency, with the task of delivering visa and funds assistance to aspiring immigrants
The accused used to teach in a nursing school in the city.
Morales lauded agents of the Talomo Police for the arrest. The accused is now temporarily detained at Talomo Police Station for documentation and proper disposition.
The police director vowed they will continue to find and arrest all fugitives to eradicate all forms of lawlessness in the region.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success