Several stocks of ammunition, food, and other belongings reportedly owned by the New People’s Army were discovered by the 30th Infantry Battalion on Saturday in Sitio Brazil, Barangay Mat-i, Surigao City.
The said discovery was made through the revelation of a rebel returnee.
1Lt. Ken Enciso, the Civil-Military operations (CMO) officer of the 30th IB based in Placer, Surigao del Norte, said the soldiers confiscated three anti-personnel mines, one bandoleer, four magazines for an AK-47 rifle, and one long magazine for M16 rifle.
Enciso said also discovered were 620 rounds of ammunition for AK-47 rifle, 14 rounds of ammunition for M16 rifle, 250 meters electrical wire, one NPA flag, 17 shirts with NPA markings, three pairs of rain boots, assorted personal belongings, and NPA documents .
Lt. Col. Raymund Allen Tomas, 30th IB commander, said the cache was discovered after Mark (not his real name), 48, a former commander of the Milisya ng Bayan in the area, surrendered on May 24 and pointed to the location of the said supplies.
Accordingly, Mark, who used to be a farmer, said he realized that he was only being used by the rebels organization to raise funds for their leaders.
“I personally witnessed the criminal actions of the guerrillas to recruit minors and thrust them in the armed movement,” he said.
Tomas said Sitio Brazil has been known as an NPA sanctuary until last year after local residents found the courage and decided to break free from the rebel influence.
Since then, former CPP-NPA members and supporters began feeding information to the military about the activities of the rebels.
“Alias Mark made the right choice to abandon the armed struggle and embrace the government. We call on the remaining NPA members and supporters to abandon these terrorists who only bring misery and poverty to our country,” He added.
It can be recalled that on May 18, 2019 war materiel and food cache were also unearthed by the 30th IB through the help of a former Militia ng Bayan member in Sitio Little Baguio, Barangay Payapag, Bacuag, Surigao del Norte.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market