The Vices Regulation Unit (VRU) requested the Sangguniang Panlungsod to amend the New Comprehensive Anti-smoking Ordinance of the city.
The said request was approved on first reading during last Tuesday’s regular session.
The VRU proposed amendments to Section 9, which stipulates penalties, and Section 15, which stipulates the no contest provision of the aforementioned ordinance.
Based on the existing ordinance, penalties are P1,000 (1st offense) P2,500 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
The VRU suggested to increase it to P2,000 (1st offense), P3,000 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
Meanwhile, for the no contest provision, the VRU proposed to increase the fine from P500.00 to P1,000.
According to the draft resolution, the penalties are said to be outdated as these have not been shown to discourage the incidence of smoking in Davao City. “In order to further discourage smoking in Davao City, there is a need to increase the penalties provided,” it said.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021