The Vices Regulation Unit (VRU) requested the Sangguniang Panlungsod to amend the New Comprehensive Anti-smoking Ordinance of the city.
The said request was approved on first reading during last Tuesday’s regular session.
The VRU proposed amendments to Section 9, which stipulates penalties, and Section 15, which stipulates the no contest provision of the aforementioned ordinance.
Based on the existing ordinance, penalties are P1,000 (1st offense) P2,500 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
The VRU suggested to increase it to P2,000 (1st offense), P3,000 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
Meanwhile, for the no contest provision, the VRU proposed to increase the fine from P500.00 to P1,000.
According to the draft resolution, the penalties are said to be outdated as these have not been shown to discourage the incidence of smoking in Davao City. “In order to further discourage smoking in Davao City, there is a need to increase the penalties provided,” it said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1