The Vices Regulation Unit (VRU) requested the Sangguniang Panlungsod to amend the New Comprehensive Anti-smoking Ordinance of the city.
The said request was approved on first reading during last Tuesday’s regular session.
The VRU proposed amendments to Section 9, which stipulates penalties, and Section 15, which stipulates the no contest provision of the aforementioned ordinance.
Based on the existing ordinance, penalties are P1,000 (1st offense) P2,500 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
The VRU suggested to increase it to P2,000 (1st offense), P3,000 (2nd offense), and P5,000 (3rd Offense).
Meanwhile, for the no contest provision, the VRU proposed to increase the fine from P500.00 to P1,000.
According to the draft resolution, the penalties are said to be outdated as these have not been shown to discourage the incidence of smoking in Davao City. “In order to further discourage smoking in Davao City, there is a need to increase the penalties provided,” it said.
- ROUGH CUTS | Bongbong-Sara tandem? Signs are unmistakable
- DMCI Homes rolls out tech upgrades for Verdon Parc project
- Ford Philippines sustains solid retail performance With 57 percent growth
- Army, Royal Brunei Armed Forces sign TOR on defense cooperation
- EO 59 bans drinking in public places
- Davao City discontinues use of face shields onboard PUJs
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Army accepting applicants to fill quota for 1,050 officers
- PSC supports ASEAN plan to add more Olympic events in SEAG
- NCCA winds down IP month