A family of four, including a five-year-old boy, was massacred by a government militiaman in Sitio Guilon, Barangay Marilog, Marilog District at 9:40 p.m. on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the suspect was killed when he allegedly tried to shoot it out with the police during the pursuit operation.
Col. Alexander Tagum, the city police director, identified the victims to TIMES yesterday as Liza Ominloy Ponce, 49, housewife; Christine Ominloy Ponce, 29; Ana Ominloy Ponce, 14; and Rey Ominloy Ponce, 5, all residents of Sitio Guilon.
Meanwhile, the suspect was identified as Randy S. Balagisi, 23, a Cafgu active auxiliary assigned to the 16th Infantry Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, of the Barangay Gumitan patrol base.
Tagum said the victims sustained multiple gunshot and hack wounds in the different parts of their bodies.
They died on the spot.
Recovered from the crime scene were nine pieces of empty shells of cal. 5.56mm and one jungle bolo.
According to the police investigation, the suspect had a pending case of rape on the complaint filed by Mayle Ominloy Ponce, the daughter of Liza.
“The motive of the incident is due to an old grudge that compelled him to retaliate because a case was filed against him last September 2018 at the City Prosecution Office,” he added.
Tagum said that slain suspect had a non-bailable warrant of arrest for rape.
At 1:30 p.m. yesterday, personnel of the Marilog police led by Maj. Estrello Ramiso and CAA personnel of the 89th IB launched a manhunt for the suspect. They found him in Sitio Lapinig, Marilog but he fired at the arresting authorities.
This led to an exchange in gunfire, which lasted for about 20 minutes. The suspect was killed in the operation. Police recovered his service M16 rifle.
- AboitizPower celebrates Women’s Month
- P31-million in fire damage recorded in Q1 2023
- Safe travels
- Dry spell looms
- No rest for weary as Davao City gears up for Holy Week
- 10th ID chief thanks security cluster for orderly Ironman
- ROUGH CUTS| Two new influential neighbors
- Bukidnon Ranch Shifts Away from Traditional Cattle Breeding through Bionova’s Biotech
- Davao City assesses safety measures after Ironman triathlete’s passing
- PRO XI to look into lapses after Ironman athlete crashes into boy