More than 3 million residents in Davao region are expected to troop to polling centers to cast their votes in today’s local and national midterm elections.
According to the data from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) 11, the region has around 3,800 polling precincts, with 3,752 voters’ counting machine (VCM), ready for the registered 3,026,393 voters.
Bulk of the voters is in the city, with 984,604. The city has 1,139 VCMs.Since last week, Comelec Regional Director Michael Abas said they are ready for the elections.
The regional election director is hoping for a high turnout of voters in the 12-hour voting, which will start at 6 a.m.
Comelec officials are reminding the public to refrain from taking pictures of the official ballots after casting their votes since it is considered an election offense.
Atty. Krisna Caballero, the spokesperson of Comelec XI, said “it would be an evidence of vote buying or selling.”
Caballero also reminded the public on the he liquor ban, which will start on May 12, the day before the elections, and end on May 13 at 11:59 p.m. The last day of campaign will be on May 11 at 12 midnight.
“Cock fighting is also prohibited as well as horse racing,” she added. “We also remind them (to stay) 50 meters away from the polling precincts.”
Police officers will also stay 30 meters away where they will still be closed enough to be called by the election officers in case of emergency.
“Also, our reminders to the voters not to have an over-vote,” Caballero said.
She explained that if the voter will shade for 13 senatorial candidates then their vote will not be counted.
The Davao City Police Office also reminded the voters not to bring packbag and any bag enough to conceal bombs or deadly weapons.
Brig. Gen. Ernesto Torres Jr., the deputy commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command, said there are about 10,000 police and military forces to be deployed throughout the region, according to the final Joint Peace and Security Coordinating Council meeting.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1