The City Government eyes to provide more programs focused on sports after the Region XI-Davao Region Athletic Association (DAVRAA) finished at the 11th place in the recently concluded 2019 Palarong Pambansa.
“After we saw the results, we discussed it and thought that it is good to focus on athletics since we already have the facilities,” Mayor Sara Duterte said. “So, it is good that we now develop a sports program that is focused on athletics given the Davao City – University of the Philippines Sports Complex.”
The mayor also said the expenses to the said facility should translate to improved performance of the athletes.
“We really have to utilize this facility so that whatever the government spent for this will be shown in the performance of the athletes,” she said.
According to the mayor, other local government units in the region are also welcome to utilize the facility.
The mayor expressed her apologies to the inconvenience brought by the incomplete facilities in the said sports complex.
“We really rushed the completion of the swimming pool area of the sports complex which the contractor and our budget can deliver,” she said.
The mayor updated that the roof for the pool area has been allotted with budget and its construction is “to follow”.
The mayor extended her apology to the parent who aired on the social media her frustration on the incomplete facility, especially the lack of the protection of the scorching heat in the pool area due to the lack of roofing.
“We are sorry to hear she was offended that the facilities are incomplete but we have it checked by the organizing committee of the Palarong Pambansa and they deemed that it is allowable for use,” Duterte said.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories