A private mental health facility said drug convicts who entered into a plea bargain could avail of a discounted six-month rehabilitation program.
This as officials of the New Day Recovery Center still considers drug addiction as a health issue despite its status in the eye of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act as a crime.
New Day Business Development Manager Kirby Loberiza, at last week’s Connect Science + Health and Wellness Forum at SM Lanang Premier, told reporters that facilities like New Day also offer discounts to drug convicts who admitted their offense and sought for lower penalty.
The idea is to instead rehabilitate patients out of addiction instead of jail time, as a portion of the sentence.
Loberiza said a discount of as low as P15,000 is offered to plea-bargain drug convicts. With this, the facility will be helping more patients.
Private institutions even offer lower bulk packages for drug addicts who come in groups.
Loberiza added there could be a need to install more social workers in the training and rehabilitation centers to help screen the levels of addiction of those convicted under Republic Act 9165.
Even with a conservative estimate of 1%, the mega facilities cannot accommodate these individuals, Loberiza said.
However, New Day officials said it was hopeful about the investment by the city government of at least P5 million in the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) to put up a psychiatric center.
The New Day will be hosting a fun run for mental health awareness on May 19.
The fun run will be held at the Damosa Market Basket Parking area, with the gun start held at 5:15 a.m. for the 8K run and 5:30 a.m. for the 5k run.
Around 600 participants will be part of the race, Race and Event director Sul Anthony Sales told reporters Friday.
“Part of the event is an information awareness program about mental health,” Sales said.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market