The Department of Agriculture in the region will emphasize resiliency amid the dry spell that’s affecting farmers and fisherfolk in Davao Region this year.
“It is one way to honor our farmers not only for their hard work but for their innovativeness, as well as their resiliency,” DA XI information officer Noel Provido told TIMES on Thursday. “We know in some parts of the country there’s a mild El Niño but despite that our farmers find a way to continue the food production.”
The highlight of the month-long celebration is the Grand Farmers’ Fiesta on May 17, “showcasing drought mitigating technologies such as production of Off-Season Mangosteen production, drip irrigation, and other product displays and exhibits of organic vegetables; poultry and livestock.”
“This will be at the DA research station at Manambulan, Tugbok District, Davao City. This is an activity where farmers can harvest knowledge on technologies for science-based farming,” Provido said.
The DA XI will also be featuring climate-resilient crops such as apaling and adlai, which are alternative staple foods that can also be processed into biscuits.
Provido said there are scientific techniques on how to process these crops, “making it more appealing to consumers.”
Starting May 27, the DA XI will be having a roadshow to every province in the region in coordination with the local government units to make the activity more accessible to farmers outside Davao City.
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year