An 18-year-old fighter of the New People’s Army surrendered two rifles to the military as he escaped from his group, the Sub-Regional Command 2 of the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee.
Capt. Ryan Delgado Layug, civil-military operations officer of the 403rd Brigade, identified him only as alias Marco, a member of the Matigsalog tribe and resident of Barangay Lorega, Kitaotao, Bukidnon. He surrendered to the 88th Infantry Battalion in Sitio Buko, Barangay Banlag, Valencia City, Bukidnon on April 26.
He turned over one M16 Armalite rifle and one M653 Baby Armalite rifle, one hand-held radio, and ammunition.
The surrender was facilitated by the IP leaders of the Matigsalog tribe.
According to the self-confessed rebel, he was recruited into the NPA when he was just 16 years old. But he regretted that decision. He told soldiers that he wants to go home to his family.
Lt. Col. Franklin Fabic, 88IB battalion commander, said, thanked the community for helping convince the teenager to surrender.
“We shall continue to help our Lumad brothers and perform our mandate of protecting them from terrorist exploitation,” Fabic said.
Col. Edgardo De Leon, the 403rd Infantry Brigade commander, there are already 40 NPA regulars and nine members of Milisyang Bayan who surrendered to the army units since January 2019.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market