Vice Mayor Bernard Al-ag urged the Land Transportation and Franchising Regulatory Board to investigate and review the franchises of UV Express vans.
“I raised the issue on the numerous vehicular accidents involving UV express, not just in the city but also in the whole region,” Al-ag said in a privilege speech on Tuesday.
He said the LTFRB XI should ensure that the agreements provided in their respective franchises are followed for the safety of the public.
“Second, we also urge the LTO (Land Transportation Office) to conduct training and seminars to our drivers and to conduct random drug tests because we have also some reports that there are drivers under the influence of drugs and we don’t want to have them in our streets,” he said.
According to Al-ag, he had a first-hand experience of a road mishap involving a UV express recently.
“Just a few days ago, another accident happened in the diversion (road),” he said.
Al-ag said, there have been so many complaints involving UV Express vehicles regarding speeding and other violations.
“One of those who complained was former Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte but actually, even before he raised his concerns, there were many complaints already,” he added.
In a Facebook post Monday, Durterte expressed his sentiments on UV Express operators.
“UV Express palihug lang…. Mga operator disiplinaha inyong mga driver!!! Ihulog ko na inyong mga unit sa Davao river! (UV Express please, operators discipline your drivers. I will throw your units in the Davao river),” he wrote.
According to Al-ag, they will issue the resolution addressed to the involved agencies within the week.
“We will release the resolution by this week and it is up to them when to conduct their investigation and review of the franchise,” he said.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021