Darwin, Australia – Ariel Lee Lampacan salvaged a silver medal Wednesday in the muay competitions of the 2019 Arafura Games held at the Darwin Convention Centre.
The 21-year-old Lampacan bowed to Sakchai Chamchit of Thailand, 30-27, in the final of the senior male Elite A 54-kilogram division but nevertheless secured the silver in the competition where the participants can gain points to qualify in the 2021 World Games.
Lampacan was disappointed for not winning the gold medal but vowed to bounce back in his next competition.
“Bawi tayo next time sa June sa World Championship (Bangkok). Pagbubutihin ko pa ‘yung training at hahasain ko pa ‘yung galaw ko,” said Lampacan.
Lampacan was one of the four national muay athletes here in the Arafura Games Philippine campaign supported by the Philippine Sports Commission and Standard Insurance.
The Philippines has now collected 30 golds, 48 silvers, and 28 bronzes, with more athletes looking to add to the tally with two days left in the competition.
Tagum City natives Hachaliah Gilbuena and Johnrel Amora beat Australia 10, 21-12, 21-13, to clinch a spot in the round of 16 after winning all of their two matches in Pool D.
Amora is teaming up with Gilbuena in an international competition for the first time but has been his partner since their college days at University of Mindanao-Tagum.
“Hindi ako makapaniwala kasi ang tatangkad nila. Nag-focus lang talaga kami sa laro. Points na lang po talaga ‘yung nasa isip namin kahit hindi na makapalo,” said the 24-year-old Amora.
The men’s doubles sepak takraw team of Dominic James Sagosoy, Aljon Ypon, and Jundy Puton from Davao City defeated Australia B in straight sets to sweep pool play with a 4-0 win-loss record.
The semifinals and finals of the sepak takraw doubles competition were being played as of press time.
In men’s basketball, Leomer Losentes had 35 points as the Philippines won its second straight contest Wednesday with a victory over New Caledonia, 86-75, at the Darwin Basketball Stadium. The Filipino cagers played Johor, Malaysia as of press time.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021