The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) XI expects a higher number of students applying for Student Financial Assistance Programs (StuFAPS) this year following the enactment of the Universal Tertiary Education Law.
The CHED offers three educational assistance programs– the Scholarship, the Grants-in-Aid (GIA) and the Study Now Pay Later Plan (SNPLP).
Last year, CHED XI received over 8,000 applicants all over Davao region for the StuFAPS and they are expecting more this year.
Out of 8,000 applicants last year, only 340 students were able to make the cut.
“It is not us who determine the numbers of slots, it is the central office. The slots are distributed by central office. Last year we were given 340 slots for our StuFAP students,” Luis Perez, chief of the CHED XI Education Program, told TIMES on Monday.
For 2019, the central office has not yet given any updates on how many slots will be allocated for Davao Region. But he said they expect about 500 slots.
The application period for the StuFAPs for incoming freshmen and ongoing college students for School Year 2019-2020 is scheduled from Feb. 1, 2019 to April 30, 2019.
After the deadline, CHED XI will compile the complete listing of applicants and rank them base on their grades and family income.
“We will rank all the applicants. We are not also limiting the numbers of applicants, we accept all submitted applications. Since they apply, we have to accept but we need to rank them base on our criteria,” Perez said.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos