Six members of the New People’s Army surrendered in two batches to soldiers in Colonsabak and Dongan Pekong, in Matanao, Davao del Sur during the Holy Week.
Col. Ezra Balagtey, the Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) spokesperson, said the community in Dongan Pekong facilitated the surrender of four alleged rebels. They were identified as alias Cardo, Tonton, Buddy, and Joana.
He said they brought with them one Bushmaster rifle, an M203 grenade launcher, and one Baby Armalite.
On Good Friday, alias Dante, vice team leader, alias Jek, and alias Gary, surrendered to police and military units in Barangay Colonsabak. They brought with them an M16, M14, and Garand rifles.
“The surrenderees, who were members of the NPAs being monitored in the quad boundary of Davao Del Sur, North Cotabato, South Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat, are part of the group that was encountered by the 39th IB in Barangay Colonsabak on April 1,” he said.
Accordingly, the rebels were separated from their group after the firefight.
They were on the run since then until their surrender after reportedly reading the leaflet for the Enhanced-Comprehensive Localized Integration Program on April 18.
Lt. Gen. Felimon T. Santos Jr., commander of EastMinCom, thanked the communities for their help in facilitating the surrenders.
“The community acted as our ambassadors when they took effort to explain the E-CLIP to our lost brothers and sisters, a message that the NPAs should read and understand that they are not welcome in their communities,” Santos said.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos