Davao Archbishop Romulo Valles reiterated to the Catholic faithful that the message of Easter is the victory of the Jesus over darkness and death.
In his homily yesterday at the San Pedro Cathedral during the “Sugat” Mass, Valles shared he is proud of the Catholic Filipino faith.
“I am very proud of the Catholic Faith here in the Philippines because among others Catholic churches in the world, we have this unique activity called “Sugat” during Easter,” he said.
“Sugat,” “Salubong” in Filipino, is an annual activity of the Filipino Church to reenact the Biblical account of the Virgin Mary’s meeting with the resurrected Jesus Christ.
“Despite the darkness, the Lord Jesus, in His resurrection, is the only singular light, the only fire that would guide us,” Valles, the president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), elaborated to mass goers.
He further said that with the resurrection of Jesus, Catholic faithful must enjoin with joy of the season.
“The joy in resurrection is ours. We celebrate this during our baptism,” he said.
The Archbishop also explained that the “Sugat” symbolizes how we all should meet the Lord.
“The blessing and the love of the Lord, despite the pain and tears that we have, will touch our hearts in His presence,” Valles said.
Valles also likened the life of Catholic faithful to sunrise when the “Sugat” is celebrated.
“Our lives are just like dawn where darkness meets the light. But with this celebration of the church, once again, I hope that we strengthen our Faith that the Lord will never abandon us,” he said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- As many as 27,000 booster shots can be administered daily: official
- Vaccination rollout for 5-11 age group pilot-tested in Manila first before DC
- 5 arrested in buy-bust, drug den raid
- Honda introduces its newest rough terrain bike
- Jarlo Bâse marks his major label debut with soulful, laid-back track “Kalapati”
- J-Pop queen Hikaru Utada delivers another pop masterpiece with eighth studio album, Bad Mode
- Concepcion backs DOLE’s call to private sector employers, but insists it should be voluntary
- WANDERLUST | Blue Lotus Hotel holds relaunch
- NPA regional committee in R-11 to be dismantled in next months