The Davao City Overland Transport Terminal (DCOTT) expects a 45% increase in passenger influx during Easter Sunday, as the long vacation is over.
On ordinary days, the terminal handles 650 to 700 bus trips per day, serving from 32,500 to 35,000 passengers.
During the peak of passenger influx for the Holy Week, according to Usop, they reached more than 1,500 bus trips.
“We recorded the highest number of passengers on Wednesday afternoon until Thursday,” she said.
On Black Saturday, Usop noted that the number of passengers is starting to go above average but she expected it to peak on Easter Sunday.
But Usop said they were able to manage the passengers this year compared to the 2018 Holy Week. Last year, there were stranded passengers who were forced to sleep at the DCOTT while waiting for their ride.
“We have anticipated it early and we have gathered bus operators to apply for special permits from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board a month before,” Usop said.
According to Usop, about five companies applied for business permits for about 15 buses.
“In terms of security, we have the Task Force Davao, K-9 units, Philippine National Police personnel, as well as security guards. We also have the LTFRB and the Land Transportation Office here to check the road-worthiness of the buses,” Usop said.
Usop also said the terminal has 21 Closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and two walk-through machines at the entrance to aid the security personnel.
“So far, in my meeting with the team leader of the Task Force Davao, we have not received any reports of untoward incidents,” Usop said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1