Close to 8,000 residents, composed mostly of indigenous people, former Communist rebels, non-government organizations, Youth for Peace Movement, and government officials marched to condemn the New People’s Army.
The simultaneous event started at 7 a.m. on March 29 in different parts of regions 10, 11, and 12.
Capt. Jerry Lamosao, the spokesperson of the 10th Infantry Division, the participants marched through the main thoroughfares of Davao City, General Santos City, Kidapawan City, Mati City of Davao Oriental and Tagum City of Davao del Norte on Friday, March 29 to campaign for peace and express their support in the government’s fight against communist insurgency.
The event was timed with the New People’s Army’s 50th anniversary.
In a statement, Brig. Gen. Mario G. Lacurom, general officer-in-charge of the 10th ID, said, “With our 10th Infantry Division commander Maj. Gen. Jose C. Faustino Jr, the army’s core purpose of ‘protecting the people and securing the land’ will always be our focus in all activities and operations we are doing.
“The 10th ID expresses support to the peace initiatives of our stakeholders through their ‘peace rally’ that aims to inform, solicit popular support, and pose a challenge to all peace-loving Mindanaoans,” Lacurom said.
“The people can no longer endure the suffering they have long experienced with the unabated violation of their rights done by the communist-terrorists,” he added.
He said the people want to enjoy living in a peaceful community and do business without any fear while enjoying the fruits of their labor.
“The people themselves now are speaking in public conveying their strong desire for a kind of community they want to live peacefully,” he said.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos