Local government units have a big role to play in the planned localized peace talks as President Duterte already canceled the peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA-NDF).Col. Ezra Balagtey, the spokesperson of Eastern Mindanao Command, told reporters Wednesday in the AFP-PNP press briefing held at The Royal Mandaya Hotel, “This is just one of the ways in achieving peace in the country and whatever the thrust of President Rodrigo Duterte, we will support.”
“In as far as localized peace talks, we have seen the importance of the role of the local government units because they are the champions in the implementation of peace initiatives in their respective localities,” Balagtey said.
Earlier, President Duterte has permanently terminated the government’s peace talks with the communist group.
With the peace talks over, the President has also directed the military to step up the offensives against the communist rebels in the hopes that insurgency could be finished within his term.
“I am officially announcing the permanent termination of our talks between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines,” Duterte said during the 122nd-anniversary celebration of the Philippine Army in Taguig City on Thursday, March 21.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories