Local government units have a big role to play in the planned localized peace talks as President Duterte already canceled the peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA-NDF).Col. Ezra Balagtey, the spokesperson of Eastern Mindanao Command, told reporters Wednesday in the AFP-PNP press briefing held at The Royal Mandaya Hotel, “This is just one of the ways in achieving peace in the country and whatever the thrust of President Rodrigo Duterte, we will support.”
“In as far as localized peace talks, we have seen the importance of the role of the local government units because they are the champions in the implementation of peace initiatives in their respective localities,” Balagtey said.
Earlier, President Duterte has permanently terminated the government’s peace talks with the communist group.
With the peace talks over, the President has also directed the military to step up the offensives against the communist rebels in the hopes that insurgency could be finished within his term.
“I am officially announcing the permanent termination of our talks between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines,” Duterte said during the 122nd-anniversary celebration of the Philippine Army in Taguig City on Thursday, March 21.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos