Working towards eliminating plastic waste in the country, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Philippines is currently coordinating with the city government as its pilot site for the Philippine’s Plastic Pollution-Free Cities Project.
In “No Plastics in Nature Initiative” forum yesterday at SM Lanang Premier Food Hall, WWF Philippines Conservation Programs Vice-President Chrisma Salao said they are working with their chosen site to be “plastic smart” through policy support, corporate engagement, education and citizen science.
“It is not going to be an instant solution. But what we are doing now is one step at a time as long as we have each other,” Salao said.
Salao also added that this project aims to reduce plastic consumption by 2030 through establishing partnerships among local government, NGOs, academe, corporations as well as individuals to take actions towards solving plastic problem.
“We created the problem. The solution lies upon us,” she said.
In addition, WWF Philippines National Coordinator for Plastics Czarina Constantino said that they want to create measurable impacts in the city to be replicated in other cities and municipalities in the country.
“What we are aiming is to really push for a legally binding agreement.”
She confirmed that as of Jan. 31, there are 18 corporations in the country that committed to begin their sustainable journey to address single-use of plastics in their businesses. These include Park Inn Hotel and SM as the first corporate partner in Davao City.
Philippines is the third plastic polluter of oceans in the world. It has been identified as one of the five countries that contribute 60% of the plastic waste leakage in the ocean.
By Niño Nicole Villareal/ UM Intern
- Responder drowns
- HONORING MY MOTHER: Going your own way
- ROUGH CUTS| What’s behind Mayor Baste’s silence?
- Davao ICon 2023 showcases the region’s finest
- BJMP XI offers free rides every Thursdays this month
- FORTY-SOMETHING FIRST-TIME MOM | Confessions of an angry mama
- EGALITARIAN: Nano industry and spectrum of industries
- Globe Group shares story of purpose-led transformation in UN’s Vision 2045 documentary series
- Davao Light energizes four sitios in Davao del Norte
- Full confidence