Around 3,200 security forces will be deployed to ensure the safety of the participants of the Alveo Ironman 70.3 triathlon event this coming Sunday.
Speaking in yesterday’s AFP-PNP press briefing held at The Royal Mandaya Hotel, Chief Insp. Jason Baria, the spokesperson of Police Regional Office XI said there will be more or less 1,000 PNP personnel deployed from the police provincial offices, Regional Mobile Force Battalion and Reactionary Standby Support Force (RSSF).
“They will be coming from the Davao del Sur, Davao del Norte, Davao Oriental, Davao Occidental, and Compostela Valley provincial offices,” Baria said.
“Despite our personnel being very busy in providing security for the event, the other personnel are also tasked to conduct foot and mobile patrols in the different areas,” he added.
Sr. Insp. Maria Theresita Gaspan, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office, said their personnel are already in soft deployment.
The race will start with a 1.9-kilometer swim followed by a 90-kilometer bicycle race from Azuela cove in Lanang to Tagum City. Then they will return for a 21-kilometer run from Azuela Cove to corner Torres Street, J.P. Laurel Avenue and back.
She said they are expecting a total of 1,700 participants that will join the event compose of professional athletes from other countries, along with local celebrities.
“The coordinating conference was held yesterday with the organizers and all security forces and we have also deployment from other areas,” Gaspan said.
“There will be again a three-layer security blanket,” she said. “We have intensified our intelligence-driven operation and established police assistance desk.”
“There will be also a traffic personnel deployment and safety marshals in major activity areas,” she added.
Also, 60 members of the tourist police will be deployed in the eight hotels where the participants are billeted.
Meanwhile, Capt. Jerry Lamosao, the 10th Infantry Division public affairs chief, said the military will just provide security support to the Philippine National Police.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market