The City Environment and Natural Resources Office (Cenro) said it was disappointed at barangay officials lenient in enforcing proper waste management at source to avoid angering their constituents.
“Not mentioning their names, but other barangay officials leave their responsibility to the Cenro because they are afraid to lose in the elections,” Cenro acting head Dolly Remojo told TIMES on Friday.
There were at least three barangay officials in Davao City who are “very vocal” in their defiance to follow the City Ordinance No. 0361-10 or the Mandatory Segregation of the Solid Waste, she said.
According to Remojo, they already forwarded the names of these barangay officials to the Department of the Interior and Local Government for appropriate sanctions.
Remojo explained that their office frequently takes the brunt of the blame for non-segregrated waste disposal because of the failure of the barangay officials to fulfill their duty as members of the Barangay Ecological Solid Waste Management Committee.
The committee is formed in accordance with the Ecological and Solid Waste Management Act of 2000. As stated by the DILG, this committee “will help formulate a waste program consistent with the municipal or city plan.”
Regardless of the matter, Ramojo thanked the Association of Barangay Captains for their cooperation in the implementation of proper waste management at the grassroots level.
The Commission on Audit routinely checks the implementation of Republic Act 9003 or the Solid Waste Management Act.
In previous audits, the COA called the attention of several barangays here for not properly implementing their materials recovery facility projects here.
The Solid Waste Management Ordinance also prohibits the mixing of garbage with segregation supposed to start at source.
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?