The Mines and Geosciences Bureau XI observed a significant increase in sand and gravel production value over the last three years in Davao Region.Last 2016, the MGB XI recorded P887,370,820 sand and gravel production value in the region, which increased to 901,437,800 in 2017.
Production value continued to increase in 2018, breaching the billion mark at P1,437,665,955.
This significant increase was attributed to the massive infrastructure development under the Build, Build, Build (BBB) program of the Duterte administration.
“It’s because of the demand in construction industry and then the infrastructure projects of the government,” Noel Angeles, mine safety, environment and social development division OIC, told TIMES on Friday.
According to Angeles, sand and gravel production is largely used in road ballast to concreting in most construction projects.
In 2018, many of the infrastructure projects were completed. One of these is the widening of the 12 sections of the Daang Maharlika in Compostela Valley into six lanes. The concreting of the Mawab-Maragusan-Caraga road in the provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental were also completed in 2018.
The east side and west side sections of the Island Garden City of Samal circumferential road, which includes the construction of Balet bridge, were also among the completed projects in the last quarter of the year.
Many road construction and widening were also completed last year in the provinces of Davao del Sur, Davao Occidental, and Davao del Norte.
Meanwhile, the MGB XI expressed concern over the increasing consumption of sand and gravel because the annual replenishment of sediments in river bed is not 100 percent. “Even Davao del Norte, they are already thinking not to release sand and gravel to Davao City,” Angeles said.
Angeles also said that quarrying on mountainous areas will be the next option once sand and gravel on the river beds are depleted.
- ROUGH CUTS | Run that nuclear power plant
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – MAY 25, 2022
- DTI 11 urges consumers to help in monitoring new SRPs
- SCENE CITY | Pidoks blesses fourth branch
- WANDERLUST | DA, NCCA, DOT lead Filipino Food Month celebration
- Next admin told | Build Samal bridge to improve DavNor power
- Tagum City sets record for most biodiverse observations
- CCCs offer free swabbing, teleconsultation services
- ‘Multi-layered security plan’ readied for Sara’s oathtaking
- City still enjoys low rates for COVID, 2 weeks after polls