There are 772 areas in the country that are placed under watch for the coming elections.
But Department of Interior Local Government (DILG) Sec. Eduardo Año could not immediately confirm if there is any in Davao region.
“In Davao region, I’m not sure… but I have not seen any,” Año said.
He specifically mentioned Daraga in Albay and Cotabato City in the list.
The DILG head, in his Davao visit, said they are still validating information on other areas.
He also said that they are intensifying their operation to neutralize private armed groups during and after elections.
“Also the loose firearms (campaign) will be a continuous campaign of our policemen,” he said. The Philippine National Police is the control of the DILG.
Año, a former Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, said they are also monitoring candidates who are supporting the New People’s Army. In 2016, they recorded 349 local government officials to have given monetary consideration to the NPA to get permit to campaign.
“We are still monitoring them now,” Año said.
“I warned those who are running not to give in to the (demand of the) NPA because will go after in you,” he said. “We will file case against you.”
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories