Davao del Norte – Charly Suarez proved that he got what it takes to be a champion when he destroyed Justin Cabarles easily in the 2nd round to win the Mindanao Professional Boxing Association (MinProba) lightweight title last Tuesday night at Dujali Gym at the Braulio E. Dujali, Davao del Norte.
Suarez, 30, quickly started with his jabs in the first round. Suarez showed more quickness as he connected body shots and head blows to stop Cabarles in 1:42 in the 2nd round.
Cabarles tried to fight back but Suarlez proved too much for him by handing him down the canvas.
It was the second win for Suarez and the first in the 8-rounder while the first setback suffered by the 19-year Cabarles after four straight wins.
Suarez still needs one more 8-rounder before he will fight for a 10-rounder and a possible championship.
“Maraming salamat una sa lahat sa Panginoon Diyos,” said Suarez.
“Sa protection ko sa laban kanina at saka kay Engr. Jilson Basang,” he added.
Basang is the boxing promoter of this event co-presented by the LGU of Braulio E. Dujali headed by Mayor Leah Marie Moral-Romano.
Meanwhile, Nurshadhida Roselie of Singapore landed more jabs to beat Kim Actub of Iligan to win via a unanimous decision the MinProba women’s super bantamweight title.
Roselie dubbed as “The Sniper” had more telling blows while Actub only got short punches. Roselie improved her record to 12 wins against two losses while Actub drop to 7-10-1.
Marvilo Aballe and Jhun Rick Carcedo also won in the other two MinProba title fights.
Aballe won by a UD over Celso “Rocky” Sardido in the featherweight title while Cardedo scored a 4th round technical knockout over Romulo Ramayan in the welterweight title.
The other bouts: Glenn Porras knockout Ramil Antaran in the 2nd round; Muhammad Ashiq settled a majority draw with James Francis Buray; Stephen Bontuyan won by unanimous decision over Jestine Tesoro; Arjay Recopelacion had a majority draw with Jagear Bereno; Jar-ar Rubin settled a split draw with John Paul Tabanao. (by Lito delos Reyes)
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission