A debate is raging both in social and traditional media over the report that the Department of Interior and Local Government is set to release the so-called list containing the names of politicians, some of them running in the midterm elections, who were reportedly involved in illegal drugs.
On the part of Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, releasing the list would allow the voters to scrutinize the candidates and that part of becoming politicians is allowing themselves to be exposed to scrutiny.
“The evil sought to be avoided by its release is much much greater than the perceived violation of an individual’s right, which the law allows a vindication and compensation,” Panelo said in a statement.
However, those against the move are claiming that releasing the list does not provide due process for those in it as under the law, anyone is innocent unless a court of law rules otherwise.
Of course, politicians need to submit themselves to the scrutiny because this is part of their lives.
The sad thing is that in this issue, one part that has not been put to light is the fact that these people have families who have been dragged to the controversy, children whose only sin is not being able to choose their parents.
The government must be able to consider all facets in this discussion before taking any action. After all, there are other alternatives that can be done just to shame those who might not be fit to hold a government position.
But, of course, the government all has the responsibilities, duties and the authority to act on what it thinks is the best for the country. A little caution, however, may hurt but not too much.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market