Ninety-nine fire incidents were recorded by the Bureau of Fire and Protection XI in the city since the start of the year.
Speaking in yesterday’s AFP-PNP press briefing held at the Royal Mandaya hotel, Fire Insp. Cyrus Medina, the spokesperson of BFP XI, said even in February, they already recorded a series of fire incidents.
“Since we agree to the fact that it is very difficult for us to control the weather condition but then our community can prevent the fire,” he said. “Right now we are experiencing the dry season where the heat is there.”
Based on the record of the BFP XI, from January to February 25, around 99 fire incidents were recorded with estimated damage of P15,815,550.
The report also showed that 48 fires occurred in residential areas; 21 grass fires; 8 rubbish fires; and six vehicle fires.
Meanwhile, he reminded the public to be cautious in using appliances, gadgets, and open fire. They should also have their electrical wiring inspected and fixed.
The BFP XI will soon launch the “Oplan Ligtas Pamayanan” program, which seeks to deploy one fireman in each barangay.
“The fireman will coordinate to the barangay to conduct a free fire-planning activity to inspect the households within the barangay,” Medina said. “Because, as you have noticed, fire happens mostly in residential areas because we can’t inspect them annually unlike business establishments.”
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC