The four inmates who died on Saturday raid at the city jail were arrested for their alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade.
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) 11 Director Antonio Rivera said they were all charged for violating Republic Act 9165 (Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002).
“We are still conducting a background check on the four but initial reports we have (states) that they are deeply involved in the distribution of illegal drugs inside,” Rivera said.
Meanwhile, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum defended his team during the raid.
Debunking online comments that the four inmates were killed to silence them, Tagum said his agents were attacked and they only defended themselves.
Tagum was present during the raid dubbed “Durian Wall” that was implemented after they received information that illegal activities were happening inside the jail.
“In support to the Bureau of Jail Management Penology (BJMP) 11, we conducted this operation under the Police Regional Office 11 to finally clear the area of drug affectation, particularly drug trade and use of the inmates and the control of the illegal drug trading inside and outside the jail,” Tagum said.
During the inspection, four inmates of Cell No. 18 refused to follow the order of the raiding team.
“One of our police (officers) went inside the cell to force them to go out,” Tagum said. “But when my personnel approached, he was fired (by one of the inmates) with an improvised firearm that made the other policemen reacted.”
Tagum said the search at the Cell No. 18 yielded illegal drugs.
“So obviously, the illegal drugs at the jail annex came from Cell No. 18,” he added.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission