Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mayor debunks fire claims

Mayor Sara Duterte has denied reports that the successive fire incidents that hit the city have something to do with the construction of the coastal road.
“This hearsay has no basis,” Duterte told reporters. “There is no reality that the recent fire incidents are related to the construction of the coastal road.”
At least four fire incidents hit the city in the past three days. The biggest was in the coastal community in Isla Verde, Barangay 23-C on Wednesday.
Duterte said any reports linking the fire to the government project is illogical.
The coastal road project, funded by the national government, is now on the first phase. It will connect from Bago Aplaya in Talomo District to R. Castillo in Agdao District.
Assistance
The mayor said the city government, through the City Social Services Development Office (CSSDO), is due to give financial assistance over the weekend or early next week to the victims.
The CSSDO initially gave food assistance to the evacuated families.
The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) likewise also gave mosquito nets, mats, and other non-food items.
The series of fire started in coastal community in Purok 4, Isla Verde, Barangay 23-C, where more than 200 houses were damaged on Wednesday.
Three more fire incidents – though not in coastal communities — happened since then.
Since the start of the year, the fire department already recorded 80 fire incidents in the city.

Share this post:
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
Instagram
RSS